Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Huck

I randomly went in our local Books and Co. earlier this week because I accidentally got off on the wrong exit on the interstate. I meant to go to Target, but Target is the next exit down. This is the SECOND time I've done this, despite the fact that I know exactly where Target is. So instead of wasting the trip to turn around, I thought it might be fun for Jack and I to hang out in the book store for a little while. We browsed various section and I came upon a sign saying that Mike Huckabee was going to be signing books on Wednesday of this week.

For those of you who don't know, Mike Huckabee was the governor of Arkansas and made a run for the presidency this past election. He's an Evangelical Christian and also a pastor? I think? (I'm sure my Arkansas friends can vouch for that.) Either way, he is ultra conservative and from the south. Which means my dad (who is a Southern Baptist preacher) is a big fan of him. I thought it'd be a cool Christmas present if I could get him a signed copy of one of his books.

Governor Huckabee, or The Huck as I like to call him, is out on tour promoting a Christmas book he just released, but I wasn't interested in buying that. My dad is not a "I want to read feel good stories" kind of a guy. He'd much rather read something about politics and then debate it with you. Well, maybe not you. But with someone who is willing to debate with him. (I'm not his debate partner either. Neither is my mom. Because we enjoy silence and happiness.)

ANYWAY, I picked up a copy of his book about his presidential campaign because that is RIGHT UP my dad's alley. And then, I got in line. A very, very, very long line. I was unsure if I would even get a chance to get to The Huck. He was only going to be there for an hour and I was waaaaaaaay back in the line. And did I mention I had a 7 month old with me too?



He was a big hit in line. I know this is going to SHOCK you, but it was pretty much all old people there. One guy was absolutely ENAMORED with Jack and gave me a quarter to give him. He told me not to give him now, but wait until he was going to use it. I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. I'm planning on keeping that quarter in his baby book.

The tour bus was running late from their last stop in Indianapolis, so they gave us numbers and let us roam around the store. Jack was WONDERFUL the entire time and we met a sweet little seven month old girl while waiting. She and Jack flirted the entire time and he seemed to really enjoy talking to her.



Eventually, the bus arrived and everyone gathered to see the celebrity.



I was really disappointed that The Huck was only going to be at the store for an hour because that meant he would not pose for any pictures or personalize the signatures. And I was really hoping to get a picture to give to my dad and have The Huck sign the book to, you know, HIM. But alas, it was not to be. We were eventually herded into yet another line for the actual signing. The lady in front of me in line was GREAT and totally entertained Jack the ENTIRE time. He smiled for her and was in a phenomenally good mood even though it was totally past his nap time.

I eventually got up to The Huck and I was prepared to overcome my shyness and talk to him. His kids went to Ouachita and he spoke at one of my classes while I was there. So when I got up there, I just blurted out, "I went to Ouachita!" He looked up and smiled and said, "Alright!" and gave me a high five. I blabbered on a bit and mentioned that his daughter was there when I was and low and behold, SHE WAS THERE. So then I had a totally awkward conversation with her because it's not like she and I were friends or anything. But whatever. I got the book signed.



A random book store employee took this picture for me. Thank you random nice lady!

So my first book signing experience was a success. It was not as cool as meeting The Pioneer Woman, but hey. I do what I can.

3 comments:

Guy said...

I got that book for Christmas last year. It's a good book (at least what I've read so far). I get approximately 20 books from my in-laws every Christmas and I read on average one book a year and it is my goal to finish it before the end of the year. It was my chosen one to finish for 2009. Glad you got to meet him.

phil said...

That is fun!

Christy said...

Cool! (And I totally would have done the EXACT same thing about Sarah. Mention her and then be like, uh, uh, hi.)