Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 26 - Eeesh

Hi! Have you met me? Because I am addicted to school. I love it and can't get enough of it and I always, always, always make it my #1 priority over everything else. But tonight is the visitation for my father-in-law (That still feels really weird to type. I have in-laws. Odd.) And what else is tonight? It's my last class before my final next week! Ack! Ack! What do I do? Where do I go? I cannot express to you how much it bugs me to miss this class. I am an over achiever in every sense of the word when it comes to academia, particularly when it comes to class attendance. I never skipped a class in undergrad until my senior year. And then? It was only once so I could read and be prepared for a different class later in the day. THAT is how big of a nerd I am. (The class I skipped? Human Development. Ironic that I am now taking it for real in graduate school five years later, eh?) So it is paining me. Seriously, PAINING me to miss it.

The point? Is there one? Did I really come to my blog to complain about missing class when there is a family member to be mourned? No, I'm not. But as I lay awake this morning stressing out about school and life and getting everything little thing done, I became convinced that the best thing to do is skip class and go to the visitation. Which, in my defense, was never a doubt in my mind. But this morning, I experienced a true moment of clarity while I was wrapped up in a blanket with Murphy on one side of me, Parsnip on my chest, and Alex snoring on the other side. Because at the end of my life, I know I will look back on this and be glad I went. And that I can't even properly describe how important it is to be a supportive wife, daughter-in-law, and sister-in-law. I'm a part of a much bigger family than the one I grew up in. And I like it. And I'm glad I get to be there with them and trudge through the difficulties of life together. That is far more important than whether or not I ace that final.

So if you need me tonight, you know where I'll be.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've got it figured out! I know you like school (blog world - can you imagine being her college roomie?) but glad you know that people are way more important! I am glad that you are part of a big and loud family now - you deserve it!!(Alex - loud is meant as a compliment - I would be part of your family anyday.)