Thursday, January 01, 2009

Year in Review

Happy New Year! I am back in Ohio! We were supposed to get in last night but after a full 10 hours in the car, I hit a wall mentally and physically. I just couldn't go on anymore and Alex took pity on me and we spent the night in Louisville. So we rang in the New Year snuggled in bed with some awesome awkwardness on TV between Taylor Swift and that one Jonas kid. I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday as a result. But I saw this on multiple people's blogs, though it was started by Linda and I decided it was way easier to jank a survey than actually try and wrap up 2008 in a post on my own. So enjoy. Here's to 2009 being an amazing year.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
I got pregnant. That one wins, I am pretty sure. Which has also led to me doing lots of things I've never done before, such as wearing pants with an elastic waistband, gaining far too much weight and being paralyzed by what to do with it, being sick for months on end, etc. But in the interest of this not being All About Baby: I flew more this year than I have in a one year period. Alex and I flew together (finally!). I became unemployed and began the joys of interning. I drove through West Virginia, which was just as not exciting as it sounds.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I never make resolutions because I never keep them. Ever. I usually make a vague promise to myself to work out more, but that's it. This year, I AM resolving to eat healthier, get back in shape post-baby, and learn how to be a rockin' parent.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Thanks for asking! My best friend in high school had a little boy. One of my best friends from college also had a little boy. And one of Alex's best friends from high school had a little girl.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year. Thank goodness.

5. What countries did you visit?
Other than this one? Not a one. I did go to Texas which some delusional folks consider a whole 'nother country.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A body shape I am proud of. A graduate degree. A career that I am happy with (whether it's a School Counseling career or a Full Time Mom career).

7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
November 4th. Barack Obama was elected president and we found out we were having a boy. I know I should also list the date that I found out I was pregnant, but I don’t have the foggiest clue what day it was. It was in July sometime.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Surviving the insane amounts of grad school classes I took for a full year straight. Also, getting pregnant? Though I feel as though I didn’t achieve that, so much as stumbled upon it.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not enjoying my pregnancy. At all. Which is why I quit blogging. Mostly because I wanted to kill myself.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Morning sickness for a good three-four month period. Wow was that NOT fun.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
My iPhone. Our XTi. The Vue.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Alex. He has put up with A LOT this year.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Besides me? Those people who trampled and killed the Wal-Mart employee for sale prices.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, Bills, Bills

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Nothing. 2008 was devoid of super excitement for me. It was a tough year emotionally.

16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
I hate these kind of questions. Probably “The Hat” by Ingrid Michaelson. I listened to it on repeat a ridiculous amount of times over the summer doing school work.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Sadder. It's true. 

b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. Waaaaay fatter.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer. God, this is depressing. Next question!

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Cry.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Louisiana with my family. It was nice. Sometimes. It was warm. The whole time.

21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
Nope. But does it count if I fell MORE in love with my husband? (:Barf: I know.)

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I like the use of the word "program." The Office still has my heart, though I thoroughly enjoyed 30 Rock this year. Alex and I finally discovered Firefly.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope.

24. What was the best book you read?
I read a lot this year. Which is nice. The best one though? Well, I HATED “The Road,” but I can see why everyone liked it so much. It was compelling in such a disturbing way. I probably enjoyed “Eye Contact” the most. Although “Twilight” was insanely easy and fast to read.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ingrid Michaelson.

26. What did you want and get?
Well, I didn't die. So I suppose that counts. I can't really think of anything I wanted and got. OOOHHH! Our fancy new camera. Alex wanted it more, but I definitely wanted it too and have enjoyed it.

27. What did you want and not get?
A free pass for a lifetime to Sephora.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Wall-E hands down. I love that little robot.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 28 this year. I was sick as a dog and for some reason, my parents decided that the perfect birthday gift would be a trip to a gigantic Bass Pro Shop for Alex. But since they had given me a laptop that morning, I went along with it. I eventually got really sick and cried in the store and we left early. Definitely one for the books.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Immeasurably more? I don't know. It'd take something fantastic. Winning the lottery, perhaps.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Will this fit? Can people tell my pants are unbuttoned?

32. What kept you sane?
Alex.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Hee. Fancy. I'd probably go with Daniel Craig since he looked so good as James Bond. But I will say that this year showed a remarkable drop in my interest in all things celebrity.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Just one? I don't know. I get all riled up when the religious right gets all high and mighty with their Republican ways. Back off, y'all.

35. Who did you miss?
Lots of people. My OBU girls. My Maw Maw. My grandparents who have passed away. My father-in-law...I didn't know him very well but it completely blows that he will not get to meet my son.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I can't think of a new person I met this year. I got to know several grad school friends this year and they are amazing.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
It only takes one time to get pregnant. Maybe you should use birth control, IDIOT.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
We don't need a lot of money.
We'll be sleeping on the beach,
keeping oceans within reach.
(Whatever private oceans we can conjure up for free.)
I will stumble there with you
and you'll be laughing close with me,
trying not to make a scene
Etcetera. Whatever. I guess all I really mean

is we're gonna be alright.
Yeah, we're gonna be alright.
You can close your eyes tonight,
'cause we're gonna be alright.
- "Etcetera Whatever" by Over the Rhine

No comments: