Sunday, January 18, 2009

Decadence

Last night, Alex and I decided to actually leave the house. Conveniently, we had nothing to eat in our actual home, so there wasn't much persuading needed for either of us to go out. It also helped that it had warmed up to a balmy 32 degrees. *grumble grumble* We decided to go to Mimi's Cafe since he had never been and I have only gone once (in Arkansas). We both enjoyed it and I had the chicken pot pie, which was divine. We decided to try one of their desserts since I had gotten it in my head that I wanted bread pudding. Which is weird in and of itself and definitely a sign that I am pregnant. Because I? Am not a bread pudding kind of girl. So we both made sure to stop eating early and ordered the single "petite" size of the bread pudding. (We're cutting back! For the New Year!) (And the "petite" size was huge, by the way.) I dug in with a fairly large piece with a good sized helping of the sauce. And then I dropped my fork.

THAT was BOOZE.

And strong booze. Seriously strong booze. Alex tried the sauce next and was like, "Yep, definitely alcohol." We checked the menu and duh, BUTTERY WHISKEY sauce. *handsmack* I felt super guilty eating it because it was so, so, so strong. And I don't know if it was so strong because I haven't had alcohol in 800 years or if there was just that strong of an alcoholic presence in the sauce. Alex assured me that it had a pretty strong whiskey taste, but I am convinced my lack of alcohol consumption effected it. Either way, I felt like I was cheating and possibly giving my child Fetal Alcohol Syndrome just by eating the sauce. (I know, I know, I wasn't. Not at all.) I picked around it as best as I could, but the pregnant guilt was there. So I made a mental note to get the Apple Cinnamon Crisp next time.

This afternoon, we treated ourselves to lunch at my favorite local brunch place. (Lots of treating! Because we hadn't made it to the grocery store yet!) I decided to be daring and ordered decaf coffee. And it was DIVINE. Again, I am not sure if this is because I haven't had coffee in 800 years or if they just have really good coffee, but it was A-MA-ZING. I drank far too much and as a result, spent far too much time in the bathroom this afternoon. But it was so worth it. I felt so decadent with my coffee and combined with the whiskey sauce from last night, it was like I wasn't pregnant for 24 hours. Except that my child is kicking the crap out of my stomach right now and unless I am calling it an alien life form, there's no denying his presence and my pregnancy. It just makes me wonder. My life has changed so much since I got pregnant. What will it possibly be like when he is here? When we have to pack an extra bag of stuff just to leave the house. When we have to actually PLAN to go out instead of just picking up and going. Will it be as much fun? Will we still feel like ourselves? I don't know. But according to the green chick up there, I've got about 10 weeks before we'll find out.

No comments: