Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reading The Reader

I began The Reader last night and finished it this morning. What a strange, sad story. I knew nothing about the book other than there was an illicit affair between an adult woman and a teenage boy. So I was surprised by the twists and turns of the plot. It was also nice to finish a book that has sat on my shelf for years.

I have found the surefire way to get me to read a book is to make a movie of it. I don't know why, but it's true. I've had The Reader for years now. Literally, years. But I did not take the time to sit down and read it until I found out there was a movie with Kate Winslet. That's pretty embarrassing for an English graduate to admit, but it's true. Now you know internet.

Up next on my queue? I'm still working on Oil!, which is the longest book I have read ever, including Remembrance of Things Past, which is 3,000 pages long. I can't figure out why it is taking me so long to get through this book, but it is. And it's not boring. There's just so much to take in when you read it. I can't fly through it, like I normally do. I also dusted off my copy of Atonement today as well. Conveniently, both of these were made into movies that were nominated for Academy Awards last year. I'm so original in my book choices!

At least I'm reading good books because of it, right? Right???

No comments: