Saturday, March 25, 2006

Technologic, pt. 2

Ok, so I didn't deliver this post yesterday, as promised. I'm a bad blog promiser. Forgive me.

My laptop broke down many moons ago and I never got it fixed. Mainly because it was going to cost me $75 an hour to get this puppy going again and I just KNEW that meant it'd take a good 10 hours to fix, you know? That's just my luck, people, I'm really not that cynical.

Anyway, BGF has a cousin who is some kind of electrical/electronic genius and he was kind enough to take a look-see at the old laptop. His initial diagnosis was a tiny bit horrible. It basically was, “I bet your motherboard's done for, so it'll be cheaper to buy a new computer.” When BGF told me this, I almost passed out. I've been waiting all this time, when really I needed to be saving up for a new computer altogether? Where's the nano I just bought? Let me dropkick that out the window.

However, fortune was on my side once again, and the laptop was fixed. Painlessly, freely, and timely, actually. So when BGF brought the little laptop home, I immediately made plans to purchase a new wireless card. (This baby's a little old. It was made before those things were standard issue.)

So before the previously posted Target trip for pink headphones, we made our way to Wal-Mart for a lovely little Linksys PCMI card. It was the same one I had before, so I figured it wouldn't be a problem.

Here's the part of the story where you realize that BGF is so better off not as my friend and that I truly am evil for sharing a picture of him with pink headphones. He sat down and began getting my computer up and ready to be on a wireless connection while I watched the American Idol results show. Yes. He really is that awesome. Why he is still single is one of the great mysteries of the modern world.

I knew things weren't going well, however, when he turned to me and said, “So what if you broke the entire slot when you dropped it that one time?”

See, what I had forgotten was that even many more ago, I had dropped my little laptop on its side, crushing the PCMI card that was sticking out. And I'm not kidding when I said "crush." It totally busted the card and I was back to a life of wired internet. It never occurred to me that I might have possibly busted the ENTIRE slot. But there it was. The little doohickeys and thingamabobbers in that little slot were just not working.

Not to be outdone, I said, “I'm returning this tonight and getting a USB wireless card-y thing.”

So I drug BGF out with me (but not before we kissed Kevin Covais goodbye) and we went back to Wal-Mart. Returning the card wasn't a problem and then I headed back to the electronics section. BGF had gone ahead of me and low and behold, there were no USB wireless card-y things there. Poor BGF. It was like he was speaking a completely different language when he told me this news. I just looked at him like my dog looks at me when I tell her "no." You know that look. You cock your head to the side and and think, "I'm just going to pretend I can't understand you, when I know perfectly well you just told me I can't have what I want." With that newly rekindled only child fire back in my eyes, I simply said, "No." I refused, and I mean refused to go back to my house without a USB wireless card-y thing. So I said resolutely, “Come on. We’re going to Meijer.”

BGF wasn't too hopeful about Meijer having what we needed since their electronic section is generally under par. Again, I brushed him off with the "Stupid human! I will rule this earth with my ways!" look and we headed off. We arrived at Meijer, where all my drive was lost when I realized I had no idea where to go or what to look for. BGF led the way and yelled, "Holy crap!" when he saw not 1, but 2 different kinds of USB wireless card-y things. Meijer had not failed us! Victory would be ours!

I practically bumrushed the salesperson idling by the electronics area and ran to the nearest open counter.

We returned to my place, where I once again took on the incredibly difficult task of doing idiotic things while BGF worked on my computer. This time, I played with my iPod and danced around like a maniac. Apple should call me because I could star in one of their commercials.

As you can tell, BGF worked his magic and I'm now online with my own laptop. This pleases me to no end because I finally get a chance to use my adorable new mouse that I've owned for months and have been unable to use until now.



Life is good technologically speaking. Now, if only my date tonight had gone better...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Date details???