Saturday, June 04, 2005

I'll Fly Away

As I mentioned last post, I get to see my mother soon. In 3 days! I'm driving down to Tennessee and my parents are driving UP to Tennessee so we can all meet up at my aunt's house. Fortunately for me, my grandpa lives with my aunt and uncle, so I get to see a TON of relatives in one fell swoop. And I was really, really excited about this trip because I haven't seen my parents since Christmas.

Then my mom told me that this was going to be a "working vacation" because my grandpa has finally decided to sell his old house. He rarely visits anymore and hasn't lived there since my grandmother died 3 years ago. I'm not really sure what type of drugs my mother is on now, because I am the biggest packrat ever. Many a fight spawned from my desire to keep EVERYTHING I HAVE EVER ACQUIRED and her desire to GET RID OF IT ALL. The woman has practically no sentimental attachment to any object. None. It's one of the reasons why I thought I was adopted when I was little. How could she and I be related? Anyway, I figured it would suck a lot, but I'd be okay. I mean, at least I'd be getting to spend time with them and I'm really good at making my parents go have fun when they want to work. Something about being an only child and never getting to see them and quality time. Trust me. It works EVERY TIME.

But then my grandfather was rushed to the hospital yesterday.

He was really dizzy and his heart beat was wacko. My mom left home early this morning in order to see my grandpa as soon as possible. And she was in tears when she called me today to tell me they had moved him to the ICU because the doctors couldn't stabilize his heart. She thinks this is the end. I can tell. But she won't admit it.

I'm really worried. My mom completely freaked when my grandma died. And she was even closer to my grandpa. She's daddy's little girl. And daddy is dying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your Grandpa, he is just one of the sweetest men I can think of, not to mention on of the funniest. The thought of him not being around makes me tear up. I always loved going with you to visit him and the rest of your family.

I haven't prayed in a while, been going through on of those dry spiritual spells. I prayed last night, I prayed for your family and in particular your Mom and Grandpa. I don't think you really know how much they mean to me. I also prayed for you that you can be strong when you need to for your Mom.

You are the Best.