Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A Baby Heavy Post

I'm visiting my parents for the week, so there's not much to talk about. Unless you want to discuss my child, because lo, I am spending A LOT of time with my child. Not that I don't spend a lot of time with my child every other day of my life, but when I visit my parents, I actually do MORE work because they can't help out as much as Alex can. So it's all Jack, all the time 'round these parts.


So here's my question, who said my child could go grow up so fast? He is cruising like a rock star and I'm terrified that he'll be walking very soon. I was all set to officially announce that we had skipped crawling altogether, but then he started doing this weird...thing. I hesitate to call it a crawl because it seems so unnatural. But he does this odd little crab walk where he drags a leg and scoots along to get to his destination. Picture a peg legged pirate walking. Now convert that to a crawl and you've got what Jack considers an acceptable method of locomotion. Except he exerts quite a bit of energy doing that and has to stop and sit down for a break after a few seconds. Then he carries on to his next stop on his tour of destruction. (Are those wires? An electric plug? Some sort of electrical device I'm not supposed to play with? Let me at 'em!)


I suppose we're not helping ourselves with this growing up thing seeing as how we bought a new car seat this weekend. It was really obvious that Jack had come to HATE the infant car seat. I felt guilty buckling him in there and he was pretty cramped. Granted, he still had an inch and a half-ish left to grow, but it just LOOKED uncomfortable. Fortunately for us, Babies R Us was having a big sale on Earth's Best this past weekend and we decided to try out a few car seats while we were there. And unfortunately for us, they had a Graco My Ride 65 on sale and we were sucked in. So what originally began as a trip to spend 10 bucks on baby food ended with spending 100+ on a car seat and baby food and uh, bibs and a food mat and new pj's. But! It was worth it because he seems to like his new seat quite a bit. And he sleeps really well in it too, which, as we all know, is AWESOME.


Jack has this new habit of wanting to sleep ON me. This is very, very new considering he would sleep well on his own, even as a newborn. We are definitely going through a clingy, needy, MAMA MAMA! phase right now, so maybe this is a part of it. It's precious and endearing that he wants ME, ME, ME all the time, but by the same token, Mama needs a break, yo. And I can't sleep with him on me. So I lay awake and try not to move too much while I watch him breathe. Which is nice for a little while, until I get restless and want to be comfortable and sleep ON MY OWN. Tonight, he would ONLY fall asleep if he was touching me. And he pressed his chubby body against me and pushed his red hair against my cheek while I melted into a puddle of sap. I couldn't help but think how amazing this moment is and how amazing HE is. My sweet baby boy who can wave bye bye and clap and pirate crawl. And soon he won't want to hug me or kiss me or cuddle me. He'll sigh and roll his eyes and say, "Mo-om!" But for now, he feels comfortable and safe enough with me that he can fall asleep on my shoulder (and my stomach and my leg). So I laid there and listened to him quietly snore. And I whispered in his ear, "I love you, sweet baby."

5 comments:

Jodi said...

Awwwww.

Cherish those moments because the eye-rolling and "moooom" comes sooner than you want it to.

Jenny said...

Does this sound familiar: Hello! The phone is ringing so I say, Hello! Goodbye! When I'm done talking then I say, Bye-Bye. What do I say again? Say, Bye-Bye!

Cora said...

Jenny, I hate that song! It gets stuck in my head and WILL.NOT.LEAVE. I also often here, "1! 2,3! 4,5,6,7,8! Then there's 9! Counting's really great! With numbers! When you learn numbers!" Gaaaah! So annoying!

Cora said...

Oh shoot, I meant "hear" not "here." Sheesh. English major FAIL.

Mel said...

Do you guys have the same toys or something?? I don't get it.ha.