Thursday, July 19, 2007

Spoiled Potter

I love spoilers. I'm a spoiler-whore, if you will. I always want to know what is happenning on any tv show or movie before I see it. I scour the internet for information on shows and movies I will never watch. I am so bad, I will even tivo episodes of my favorites shows, read about it online, and then watch it. Just because I can't stand not knowing what is going to happen.

I am the same way with books. I always read the last few pages of the book first. I'll start any novel in good faith, but somehwere around page 30, I find my eyes wandering to the final pages and greedily reading the end. I've done this since I was a child. I always knew the end of every single Nancy Drew mystery before I was even halfway through the book. It's a compulsion. A disease.

But I am trying to curb my usual habits, so that I can savor every single drop of ink during the final Harry Potter book. I am so very sad that this series is ending and I really want to enjoy every twist and turn of the plot as I read it...and not with a sense of dread or expectation because I know how it will all turn out. The reason why I am choosing to do so, is because I read the last four Harry Potter books unspoiled and have found it to be so much more satisfying. J.K. Rowling is an amazing author and I enjoy going on the journey she has crafted.

But my problem is that the internet is trying to screw with me! Which brings me to the point of this post: BACK OFF INTERNET! Stop throwing spoilers/faux-spoilers my way! Stop posting early reviews, NEW YORK TIMES. Geezy petes people. Y'all are killing me here. Do you know how difficult it is for me to NOT click on those links? Do you know how easily a google search could find all sorts of Potter-y goodness? Agh. Hopefully I will make it until tomorrow night. At that point, I am afraid that someone near me will flip open the book, read the last few pages, and then announce the results to the world. Maybe I should bring ear plugs with me? Perhaps. I am glad I'll have Alex with me to wrench the book away from the second I start to flip to the last page myself. Whew. Thank god I've got a fiance who puts up with my obsessive-compulsiveness. Now, if only the internet would put up with it too!

No comments: