Monday, July 11, 2005

Death

A lady at my work died this weekend. No one knows why or when. She didn't come to work this morning, so one of her friends went to her house to check on her. And found her on the floor.

She hadn't been sick. Nobody knew. It was so unexpected.

I didn't know her. She worked in a different part of the building. I passed her every morning. She always wore headphones while she worked. She was quiet. Everyone liked her. She had been at the company for 20 years.

The first time I went there, I didn't know how the security system worked. I kept trying to open the door that you have to be buzzed through. She pointed me towards the receptionist and told me I had to talk to her first. That I couldn't just walk in. I was embarassed. And everytime I saw her, I was embarassed. Even when she was warming up her breakfast in the microwave, I would lower my head a little. I don't know why.

And now she is gone. I'll never see her again. No one will. It's so strange. How could she be here and then be gone? Her daughter lives far away. She's flying in to make arrangements. She died alone. With no one around. On her floor.

Who is going to listen to her headphones now?

No comments: