Monday, August 25, 2008

False Start

Today was my first day at my new school. I'm interning at a local high school in the hopes of someday getting paid to mess with your child's mind. I kid, I kid! I do it out of love.

Alex and I are carpooling as much as possible these days to save on gas and so I don't have to drive. (I fear puking while driving! Even though I never puke! The most I do is dry heave!) This works out just fine for us because the school is right by his work. We got up a little late this morning, but we managed to make it out the door without me having a spectacular meltdown. I was very concerned about making it all day today as yesterday was the absolutely worst day yet of my "morning" sickness. (It really should be called "all day" sickness, by the way.) But I didn't want to cancel because it was my first day and I wanted to make a good impression, blah de dah.

I arrived at school, checked in, and saw that my supervisor was not in his office. I headed over to the intern office, put my lunch up, and pulled out some paperwork I needed to finish. I checked back, and still, no supervisor. I decide to ask the secretary if she knew where he was at. And yes, she did know. He was at home. Sick.

I tried to hide the HUGE sense of relief I felt the second she told me. I called Alex and asked him to please come pick me up. Because I needed to lay down ASAP. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely disappointed because I am ready to start getting hours in and learning how to do things in the school. I have been dying to start my new career and this is the first chance I have gotten to get hands on experience. But at the same time, WHEW. No crying in the staff bathroom! No sneaking off for snacks every hour! No fervent wishing for a couch to lay down on! Whee!

Tonight is my first pre-natal appointment. FINALLY. Hopefully the doctor won't call in sick too.

1 comment:

Guy and Julie said...

A little late on this, but CONGRATULATIONS! I (we--Guy included too) are thrilled for you! Sorry you're feeling so sick, I hope it passes soon for you.