Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Welfare

If you take a gander at the sidebar, I have finally updated my reading list. It only took a few months. I also just realized that I have been linking Oil! to No Country for Old Men this whole time. Woops.

The ladies and I are starting the book club up again this month and while Phillison is bound and determined for my choice to be The Time Traveler's Wife, I'm a bit nervous to choose it. The decision has yet to be made, but since I send the book to her first, I might just give in to her wants. :) I'm torn because I've been meaning to read it for years, (literally years!) and just haven't gotten around to it. But I've also heard through the grapevine that other book clubbers have read the book and were not fans. So I will base it on those other people's decisions. (Sorry Phil!)

What I do know, is that I am planning on diving head first into The Twilight Saga come August. School will be over and I'll be unemployed. Might as well read, right? I have read too many good reviews to ignore these books any longer.

And speaking of somewhat recent books that I'm behind on: I just picked up The Road based on a friend's recommendation, although I confess to having some trepidation to begin this one. After all, the last McCarthy novel I read gave me nightmares.

Oh wait, what was that? Did I mention that I will be UNEMPLOYED in less than a month? Did I mis-type? Nope. I found out last week that my services are no longer wanted if I am unable to work full time. And as I have class (for three weeks straight) right smack dab in the middle of the work day (Thanks UD!), combined with the upcoming practicum in which I will have to devote at least two full days to a school...Well...I just couldn't do it. So off I go to the unemployment line and depending on my husband's money. Which is insanely unsavory. I've always wanted to not work, but I always assumed I'd be a stay at home mom if I were to just not work a "real" job. Doesn't that make sense? If I'm not working in an office, I would certainly be working in another, more fulfilling (and less financially rewarding) position as a SAHM. But in order to be a SAHM, you have to fulfill that all important last word of "Mother." And I am not. And as much as I love Parsnip and Murphy, they really don't need me to stay home and nurture them all day, everyday. So instead I am going to be a lazy, jobless bum. Make room on the couch Oprah, because here I come. Yay.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

well maybe y'all can get food stamps... chad said he was thinking about applying for them..lol

Anonymous said...

Well...I've read the Time Travelers Wife and will love it no matter what anyone else says... send on the Bones one....
PS Spuds on FB