Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day Mayhem 2008

Two years ago, I went to Seneca Lake for Memorial Day. I had no idea what I was getting into. I had met a handsome redheaded boy a week and half earlier and rashly accepted his invitation to camp out at a lake three hours away from my house. And yes, I had only met him a week and half before I went. Sometimes I think I'm crazy too.

So two years ago, I had the best Memorial Day in my life and I was introduced to a whole new set of people who basically blew my mind away with how much fun they all were. I was fascinated and excited and overwhelmed. But in the end, I knew I liked it and was ready for more. I look back on that post and laugh at myself because I was dying, I mean DYING to tell the internet that I was suddenly and stupidly IN! LOVE! but didn't have the guts to do it. It worked out okay, because in 2007, I missed Memorial Day Mayhem so I could go buy a wedding dress to marry that handsome redhead in.

In 2008, we're married. I know the people. I know the lake. I understand the concept of sleeping in a tent. I know the tricks of the shower. I invested in SPF 70 and I still love the Neutrogena kind the best. It was familiar and comfortable and safe. It was exactly what I needed because the big ball of stress that was floating in my gut before I left absolutely exploded on the way home. My father is having trouble walking and the MRI came back with scary news. He's having surgery in a few weeks. On his spine. Because if he doesn't, he's going to be paralyzed. And I am in Ohio during the most stressful and busy summer of my entire life. None of it makes sense and I am angry and feeling guilty and tired of crying. So very tired of crying. I need a few more hours of laying on that catamaran and staring at the sky to make sense of all of this.

No comments: