Wednesday, April 15, 2009


I know, I know. Where is part 2 of the birth story? Definitely not here yet. But! I have a good excuse! How does a nice little visit to the ER sound? Like an excellent excuse to not write the story of my C section!

So yeah, I haven't talked about this much, but I am pretty messed up from the labor and birth. My body is not bouncing back very quickly and I am in a lot of pain. My doctor has been very concerned about me and my many ailments. The night we came home, I realized that part of my right leg was still numb. I completely freaked out and called my doctor. She sent us in the next day to have an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot. Everything looked fine, thank goodness, so blood clot was ruled out.

I was hoping once the swelling (IMMENSE swelling in my legs, y'all. IMMENSE.) went down, that the numbness would go away. And while the swelling has most definitely not gone away, it has improved. The numbness? Is still there.

Then yesterday, I realized I began having trouble breathing and had chest pains. My neck was also killing me. I was in so much pain, I couldn't even lay down. For a few agonizing hours, I thought I would never sleep again. I eventually passed out in our crappy old recliner. (Which didn't help the swelling in my feet, by the way.) I had an appointment with my doctor today and when they called to say I could come in earlier than expected, I jumped at the chance.

Alex left work to take me to the doctor, while my mom stayed home with the baby. We figured we'd be gone for an hour or so, maximum. I was fully expecting her to refer me to a different doctor or to schedule some tests for later that day. That was dumb of me to assume.

My mom, God bless her, wound up taking on the unenviable task of giving my child his first Dr. Brown's bottle with new formula because Alex and I were gone for HOURS.

Turns out, my doctor was concerned about my blood clot in my lung (always with the blood clots!), and she felt as though I could get the tests run more quickly if we went to the ER. So she called ahead and a receptionist wheeled me down to the ER to check in. They wound up doing an EKG and a CAT scan on me, while I freaked OUT about the possibility of a blood clot IN MY LUNG. (I also can't breastfeed for the next 48 hours thanks to the dye they pump into you for the CAT scan. I have...mixed feelings about this.)

Anyways, since I am posting this from home, I can proudly announce that I am blood clot free. Woo! But I do have fluid pooling in the bottom of my right lung and I have been instructed to breathe into this little machine thingy that your grandmother or grandfather probably have at their home. And I have to take Motrin every 8 hours for the inflammation. And that's it. Breathe a lot and take some pain pills. Good luck, kid!

I am relieved that it was nothing more serious. But at the same time, I was like...this could kill me right? Fluid in the lung and painful breathing is bad? I'm supposed to just suck on a tube and pop some pills and be ok? I sure hope so. We still have no idea why I am numb or if the pain in my neck will go away. We will just have to wait and see while my body recovers. I had no idea my post partum experience would be this difficult, yet here I am, going to the hospital for a second time for something potentially serious. I am terrified of what will happen and this entire experience has taught me how fragile our bodies truly are. Not only am I now a new mother who freaks at the thought of something happening to her baby, but I am also fearful for my own frail existence. Thank goodness, he's super cute or I might be looking for a refund around here.


Christy said...

Oh. My. Gosh. About your ordeal AND the cuteness.

Seth said...

I'll be praying for you, Lilly. Thanks for sharing the ordeal.

Phil said...

Whoa....that is crazy. Hope you heal up fast!!

gina said...

time to update your about me on the blog... no more expecting a child

The Crows said...

Cora, girl, we'll be praying that all of those things go away real fast. Hang in there.